Monday, October 12, 2009

A French Feast For Four

There is nothing like the comfort of friends who have known you for years.  I am so fortunate to have quite a few, but there are a couple that go back to my awkward days of middle school.  My longest besties are Vickie and my darling John, who also lives in Atlanta (lucky me!)  He and I know each others every triumph and foible and still love each other.  John is also an incredible cook and invited Eric and I over to his boyfriend Danny's place for a five star dinner that most high end restaurants could not turn out.  Menu (drumroll, please):

Cheese Board, including Brie and a German Bleu
Butternut Squash Soup
Individual Beef Wellingtons, topped with a Red Wine Mushroom Sauce
Grilled Asparagus with Hollandaise Sauce
Steamed New Potatoes with Butter and Parsley
Fromage Blanc with Fresh Raspberry Sauce
Assorted Red Wines

I am more than pleased to report that this was definitely one of John's greatest triumphs. Wow.  It is so wonderful to watch as your friends develop from little kids into the most amazing adults. When did we grow up and start giving such sophisticated dinner parties?

As much as I adore cheese, I tried to limit myself so I would have plenty of room for dinner. I'm so glad I did.  The butternut squash soup was so delicious and creamy - thanks to John's new immersion blender (what else can we blend!?)  You can always tell by the silence at the table that the food is too good to do anything other than keep eating.  We saved a lot of conversation until after dinner, it was that good.  The beef wellington was just perfect. A savory brown puff pastry cradling the perfectly cooked beef inside, topped with a slice of foie gras and a mushroom duxelles. We all just melted over this dish.  And keeping the wellington company on the plate were more gorgeous creations - pristinely cooked asparagus with hollandaise sauce (who takes the time to make hollandaise anymore? John, that's who) and the tastiest little new potatoes bathed in butter and parsley.  Ready for some pictures, Darlings?


The butternut squash soup before John whipped it into shape



Darling John getting ready to bake the Wellingtons



Asparagus Grilling (thanks to my Sweet Eric for the photo!)



John and me in the kitchen



 The beautiful table setting





One perfect plate of goodness


Our adorable Danny


Even the Simpsons know a swanky dessert when they see one!

So sophisticated! John and Danny even made playing with Simpsons toys swanky!  Ok, so maybe we're not as grown up as we pretend, but we are still having the most fun ever.

John and Danny, we love you both and we're so incredibly honored to have been the recipients of your gracious hospitality. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

xoxo, Patti