Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Meatloaf, Taters and An Ugly Cake


I love having folks over on a weekday. It saves them from cooking and means that I get to spend more time alone with Mr. Eric on the weekends. Last night, we invited 7 friends for dinner and ended up with 3. Which meant there were 5 of us at the table, including Eric and me. Since it had been flooding here in Atlanta and our darling Crystal is the spokesperson for the Georgia DOT, she and her sweetie had to decline. She was at work trying to dry out the state. One had a last minute project at work and the last just didn't show up. That happens. Those who were there had a great time and there were leftovers to take home.

The menu was simple. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, fresh green beans and cake. I thought after all this rain, we could all use a little comfort. My only snafu was the cake. I made a vanilla cake, filled it with raspberry preserves and iced it with chocolate frosting. Now, I don't claim to be a wonderful baker, and while it looked good, the layers kept sliding all around while I was trying to frost the little devil. Here's a photo for you:



It tasted delicious and no one made fun of it, so I was happy. It's always nice to have very polite dinner guests.

Hope all of you are staying dry!

xox, Patti